If you have found scones in the past to be a little dry then you must try these blueberry scones that are light, fluffy and moist.
Easy to make, they come out of the oven tender, flaky, and ultra-moist. Buttermilk keeps these scone moist and tender, Buttermilk also helps the scones puff up and become light and fluffy. I highly recommend using fresh blueberries as they seem to work much better.
Best to make these in summer when fresh plump blueberries are easy to find.
Servings: 8 Scones
- 1 cup Blueberries - fresh
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Butter - cold and grated
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat an oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla in a medium sized bowl and keep cool in refrigerator.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Stir in the frozen grated butter with a fork then slowly pour in the buttermilk mixture until combined then, gently fold in the fresh blueberries.
- On a floured surface form the dough into a large circle, about 10" in diameter. Cut into 8 triangular slice using a straight down cutting motion rather than slicing sideways. Place the slices a few inches apart on the parchment and bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until nicely golden on top.Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!