Yields 15 Scones
20 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
32 minTotal Time
- 8 oz Self raising flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 3 1/2 tbsp of Butter
- 4 oz Extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 small head of Celery. Chop 2 stalks finely
- 2 oz chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp milk
- 3 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 425ºF and cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs and then stir in the finely chopped celery, 3+ oz of the grated cheese and the chopped walnuts.
- Break the egg into a measuring jug, lightly beat and make up to 5 oz with the milk, add all but a small amount, reserve to brush the tops with. Mix gently until you have a soft dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out to approx. 3/4 inch thick, cut into 2 inch rounds and place on the baking tray, re roll any trimmings.
- Brush the tops with a little of the reserved egg mix and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together the softened butter and parsley, serve the scones warm, split in half and topped with the butter. Serve any remaining celery alongside for that extra crunch.