Servings: 12 people
- 2 cups Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 3/4 cups Carrot, sliced
- 1 cup Butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Thyme, dried
- 3/4 tsp Pepper
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups Whole milk
- 4 cups Chicken, cooked, cubed
- 1 cup Peas. frozen
- 1 cup Corn. frozen
- 1 recipe Short crust pastry
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a saucep to an and cover with water. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and cook covered for 8 t10 minutes or fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over a medium heat. Add he onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour and seasonings until well blended. Gradually add in the chicken stock, stirring continuously, Continue stirring as you add the milk then bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the chicken, peas, corn and potato mixture.
- Divide the pastry into 4 equal pieces and roll out 2 circles to fit the bottom of 2ea 9 inch pie pans. Add the chicken mixture to the pans levelling the top. Roll out the remaining two pieces of pastry, large enough to top the pies.
- Brush the edges of the pies with beaten egg, place the tops and crimp around the edges with a fork. Cut a few slits in the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes and tr crust is a light golden color. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Cover and freeze unbaked pies. To use frozen pies, remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (Do not defrost). Preheat the oven to 425ºF and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350ºF and bake for a further 70 minutes. Test for temperature which should be 165ºF.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!