This traditional coarse pâté made of pork liver, ground pork, veal and ham, onions, garlic and spices Makes a wonderful appetizer served with Gherkins, crackers or toast points and a redcurrant jelly and a glass of a full bodied red wine.
Servings: 10 Slices
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Shallots - coarse chopped
- 8 oz Pork liver
- 1/4 tsp Thyme, dried
- 1/2 ea Bay leaf
- 1 lb Pork - Cubed
- 12 oz Veal - cubed
- 8 oz Ham - cooked 1/2 inch cube
- 1/2 cup Pistachios - shelled and toasted
- 1/8 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Cloves - ground
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 1/8 tsp Cumin
- 1 pnch Cinnamon
- 1 pnch Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup Dry white wine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 14 Sl Bacon
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a 5-6 cup loaf tin with bacon slices arranged crossways with ends of rashers hanging out ready to fold over the top when filled.
- Heat the butter in a heavy skillet and briefly cook the shallots. While stirring, add the liver, sprinkle in the thyme and bay leaf. Cook for about 2 minutes, giving it an occasional stir.
- Place the veal in the food processor and pulse unitl it looks like hamburger meat. Remove the veal to a bowl and set aside. Add the pork and repeat the process but pulse it a little less so it still has some small chunks in it. Place the pork in the bowl with the veal.
- Now blend the liver mixture in the food processor until smooth. Scrape the mixture into the bowl with the pork and veal. Add in the ham and the pistachios. Next, the spices go in including the allspice, cloves, nutmeg, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne. Add the wine and season well with salt and pepper. If you want to test for taste, make a small patty and fry in a non-stick skillet until cooked through, turning once.
- Pack the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth the top leaving it a little rounded in the center and fold the ends of the bacon rashers over. Cover with foil. Place the loaf tin in a baking dish or casserole deep enough to hold boiling water for a water bath around the loaf tin. Pour the boiling water in to about an inch in depth and bake for 45 minutes or to an internal temperature of 150ºF
- Remove the pan from the baking dish and allow to cool completely. When completely cool, cut into slices about an inch thick. You should get 8 - 10 slices. Freeze individual slices in foil and pull out as needed.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!