This wonderful vegetarian base curry sauce from Jamie Oliver has an amazing array of all the aromatic spices that are the foundation for many curry dishes. The recipe will make half a dozen 16 oz jars of curry sauce for the freezer.
Servings: 6 16 oz jars
- 6 16 oz canning jars with lids and seals
- 3 oz Red Lentils
- 2 ea Onion, medium
- 3 ea Carrots
- 1 ea Red Bell Pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ea Garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 oz Ginger - chopped
- 6 ea Cilantro stalks
- 1 ea Red Chili Pepper
- 1 tbsp Coriander - ground
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 14.5 oz tins diced tomatoes
- 10 fl oz Water
- 7 oz Coconut milk unsweetened
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash the lentils, then place them in a pan covered in cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- While the lentils are cooking place all the vegetables, the garlic and ginger in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add a good glug of oil to a dutch oven, enough to cover the base and place on low heat. Fry the all spices lightly until nicely aromatic then add the chopped vegetables, cilantro stalks and chilli and fry for a further 10 minutes, until the onions soften.
- Add the tomatoes, water and cooked lentils. Cook for another 30 minutes then add the coconut milk. Bring back to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste and set aside to cool.
- When cool, store in pint size mason jars and freeze. Be sure to leave some expansion room at the top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!