When it is time for a cuppa, we often like to accompany the cuppa with a piece of cake or a biscuit. The English Breakfast Tea cupcake from Cupcake Jemma fits the bill perfectly.
- "!For the tea infused milk"
- 5 fl oz Whole milk
- 6 ea tea bags of English Breakfast Tea
- "!For the cupcake base"
- 5 oz Rich Tea Biscuits (substitute Marie biscuits)
- 2 oz Butter, unsalted
- 1 1/2 tsp Golden syrup
- "!For the cake mixture"
- 4 oz Self raising flour
- 4 oz Superfine sugar
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Zest of a lemon
- 4 oz Butter, unsalted
- 2 ea Large eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp of the Tea infused milk
- "!For the tea syrup"
- 3 1/2 fl oz Boiling water
- 3 ea Tea bags of English breakfast tea
- 3 oz Superfine sugar
- "!For the buttercream"
- 7 oz Butter, unsalted
- 1 lb Confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp of Tea infused milk
- Lemon curd
- To make the tea infused milk simply heat the milk with the tea bags over low heat for 4 minutes and set aside to cool.
- For the crumb base, crush the biscuits into crumbs then mix together with the butter and golden syrup. Add 1 1/2 tbsp of the crumb base to each cupcake case and level.
- For the cupcake mixture, combine all the cupcake ingredients in a stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- Divide the cupcake mixture equally between the cupcake cases. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- For the tea syrup, combine the tea syrup ingredients in a small saucepan and heat on low for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In the stand mixture, beat the butter, confectioner sugar and tea milk on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Using an apple corer, cut a round hole in the top of each cupcake and fill with lemon curd then pipe buttercream frosting all over the top. Drizzle the tea syrup over the buttercream frosting and serve.