For the scone dough
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/3 tsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup Butter unsalted Very cold - cubed
- 9 tbsp Whole milk
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tsp Lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp Vinegar
For the lemon glaze
- 2 cup Icing sugar
- 1/3 cup Melted butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking tray with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar. baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the chilled butter to the bowl and cut the butter into the mixture using a pastry cutter or forks until the texture is like a coarse meal. This can also be done in a food processor with a few quick pulses,
- In a small bowl whisk the milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vinegar. Add to the dry ingredients and combine using a wooden spoon. Do not over mix. Just bring it together as a slack dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead 5-6 times. Shape the dough into a 1" thick round. With a floured knife, cut into 10 wedges.
- Transfer the wedges to the baking tray leaving room for them to rise.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes until the bottom of the scones begin to color. Remove to a rack to cool for at least 15 minutes before glazing.
- Whisk together the icing sugar, melted butter, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Add the water gradually until the glaze is a thick but soft enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle glaze overs scones
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!