- 2 lb Ground Beef
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 ea Onion, chopped
- 4 ea Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ea Celery Stick, sliced
- 2 ea Carrot, diced
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste, 6 oz
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Thyme, dried
- 1 ea Beef boullion cube - crushed
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 ea Whole Cloves
- 32 oz Diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Red wine
- 1 tbsp Gravy browning
- 1 ea Cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp Nutmeg, ground
- 2 tbsp Gravy browning (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and saute until onion is translucent. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the celery, carrot. Stir well then add the tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Add the oregano. Add the bay leaf, cloves and thyme and saute for a further 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and the crushed boullion cube. Stir then lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the ground beef. Break the meat up to avoid large chunks and cook until brown all over.
- Add the wine increase the heat and allow the alcohol to evaporate for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cinnamon stick and 1 tablespoon of nutmeg. Break up the tomatoes and give it a good stir. Add 1/2 cup of water. If using add the gravy browning for color.
- Lower the heat and simmer the sauce for 3 hours. Check occasionally and if too thick add a little more water.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve over your choice of pasta.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!