This easy recipe is made even easier as there is no no need to peel the tomatoes. The immersion blender does all the work.
- Slow cooker - 6 quart
- 6 lb Tomatoes
- 2 cups Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can Tomato paste, 6 oz
- 3 tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt Divided
- Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and squeeze out most of the seeds. Trim off any hard stem or core.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients and place in bottom of the slow cooker. Top with the trimmed tomatoes.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low.
- Puree with an immersion blender. Keep tight control of the immersion blender as the liquid will be hot.
- Place the lid back on top leaving a gap for steam and cook for a further 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper then puree further until creamy smooth.
- This sauce freezes well. We freeze it in plastic freezer bags with about 2 cups in each. Lay the bags flat on a sheet pan and freeze.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!