Servings: 4 people
- Paella Pan 15"
- 5 cups Seafood stock
- 1 tsp Saffron threads
- 8 oz Cod Bite size pieces
- 8 oz Chicken breast Bite size pieces
- 8 oz Scallops Halve them if large
- 12 ea Mussels
- 12 ea Littleneck Clams
- 12 ea Large shrimp Shell on
- 1/8 tsp Sea salt
- 2 tbsp Fresh parsley Minced
- 8 ea Garlic cloves Minced
- 1 tbsp Fresh thyme
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 6 oz Hard chorizo Slice in half moon shapes
- 8 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 ea Onion, medium Chopped
- 6 ea Scallions Chopped
- 1 ea Red Bell Pepper Finely chopped
- 1 ea Tomato, large Chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice or other short grained rice
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Heat stock in a large pot then add in the saffron threads and et aside.
- Pat the cod, shrimp and scallops with kitchen paper to dry. Keep them separate.
- In a small blender or processor combine the salt, parsley, garlic and thyme and blitz to a paste. Add a splash of water if needed. Stir in the smoked paprika.
- If cooking on an outside grill light the charcoal about 30 minutes before you wish to cook. If using the stove top proceed by heating the paella pan to a medium heat, adding 6 tbsp. of olive oil.
- When the oil is hot add the hard chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes. This releases all the flavorful oils in the chorizo. Remove the chorizo and set aside.
- Brown the cod for just 1 or 2 minutes then remove and set aside. It will finish cooking later. Sear the scallops on both sides for a minute or two and remove also. Cook the chicken until sealed and lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Increase the heat a little then add in the additional 2 tbsp of oil. Ad the onion, scallions and bell pepper to the pan and cook until softened, Add the tomato and cook until sauce like, about 5 minutes. Pour in the seafood stock and bring to a boil. Sprinkle the Arborio rice evenly over the mixture and boil for 3 minutes, giving it an occasional stir.
- Add back both the cod, chorizo and chicken. Stir in the parsley paste mixture. Check for seasonings. From this point on DO NOT STIR. Lower the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Add a splash of stock if needed to prevent drying out.
- Arrange the shrimp, scallops, clams and mussels over the top. For the mussels and clams place them so the edges will open facing up. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes and the rice is almost done. Test a piece of the rice. Remove the pan from the heat and cover with foil and let sit for 10 minutes. Discard any clams or mussels that have not opened.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!