- 3 lbs Tomatoes - Cored, skins remove and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Basil - leaves picked & chopped
- 1/4 cup Butter unsalted
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 qt Chicken stock
- 1 cup Heavy cream See notes
- 8 sprigs Basil to garnish
- In a Dutch oven or heavy pot melt the butter and oil together over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened
- Add the tomatoes and chopped basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Allow soup to cool for approximately 45 minutes, then with an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- If you plan on freezing the soup omit the next step and cool until it is ready to bag for the freezer. To freeze I put about 3 cups into a quart freezer bag, remove as much air as you can, seal and lay flat on a sheet pan. You will have 4 bags of soup with 2 servings in each. Freeze the bags on the sheet pan then transfer to freezer for storage.
- Bring the soup back up to a boil, reduce the heat to low and slowly stir in the heavy cream. Serve immediately garnished with a sprig of basil.
- If reheating from frozen, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and stir in 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Serve and garnish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!