A rustic, crumbly traybake to enjoy with a cuppa, or with custard for pudding
- 250 gm Butter, cubed & cold
- 125 gm Almonds - ground
- 125 gm Muscovado sugar
- .350 gm Gooseberries
- 85 gm Sugar Superfine
- 50 gm Slivered almonds
- 50 gm Turbinado sugar, ground
- Heat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 10 x 7 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Put the flour, almonds and sugar in the bowl of a food processor Add the cubed cold butter and pulse briefly so the mixture feels like bread crumbs.
- Tip 2/3 of the flour mixture into the baking dish and press flat very firmly.
- Toss the gooseberries and the superfine sugar together and layer evenly over the base layer.
- Mix the flaked almonds with the remaining flour mixture and spread over the gooseberries.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hr until golden and you can see the fruit bubbling up around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with the turbinado sugar and leave to cool. cut nto 8 servings.
Recipe source: BBC Good Food
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!