- 2 lbs Mild or sweet Italian sausage
- 1 Cup Parsley, dried
- 1 Tbsp Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Cup Olive oil
- 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Cup All-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Cups Onion, chopped
- 1 Cup Celery, small dice
- 1/4 Tsp Mint - dried
- 1/2 Cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 Cups Tomato sauce
- 2 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cups Dry white wine
- Cut the Italian sausage into 2" pieces.
- In a deep large pot, heat the olive oil and brown the sausage until about half cooked. Remove the sausage from the pot and set aside.
- Add the flour to the oil and stir to make a roux, then add the onions, celery and bell pepper. Stir and cook until softened. Add the water and stir until smooth.
- Add the wine, parsley and garlic, followed by the cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, dried mint and tomato sauce. Combine well and bring to a rolling boil then add the sausage back in, season to taste with salt and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve over spaghetti topped with cheese.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!