Servings: 4 8 oz jars
- 10 oz Cauliflower - chopped to small pieces
- 8 oz Shallot - chopped small
- 8 oz Cucumber - chopped small gherkins preferred)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 5 cups White vinegar
- 2/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 1/2 tbsp Mustard powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger - ground
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- Place the chopped vegetables in a large bowl, cover with water and stir in the salt. Cover and leave to soak for 1 hour then drain.
- While the vegetables are soaking, sterilize the jars, caps and seals. I place in the oven at 250ºF for 10 minutes or more. Leave the jars in the oven to stay hot until time to fill them.
- Add the vegetables,, turmeric, mustard powder, vinegar, sugar, ground ginger and cayenne pepper to a large pot or dutch oven and bring to a simmer. Keep at a simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Mix a little water with the flour to make a paste. Add to the vegetable pot, stir and simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Fill the jars, leaving 1" space at the top and seal tightly. Add the jars to a canning pot of boiling water and process for no more than 10 minutes. Remove to cool. Allow to stand for 3-4 weeks before opening.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!