Servings: 4 4" tarts
For the pastry
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Icing sugar Ssugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 9 tbsp Butter, cubed &amp; cold
- 1 ea Eggs - beaten
For the filling
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Ginger - ground
- Orange zest
- 1 1/2 cup Strawberries - sliced
- 1 1/2 cup Rhubarb - Chopped in 1inch pieces
For the meringue
- 2 ea Egg whiites
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
To make the pastry
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the all-purpose flour, powdered sugar, and salt until combined. Add the butter and pulse in short bursts until the butter is the size of small peas. Slowly add the beaten egg and pulse until the mixture comes together into a ball. Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Let the dough sit at room temperature for a few minutes, then roll out to about 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Use a large round cutter or a knife to cut out circles of dough for each tart tin (size to suit your tins).
- Grease tart tins with butter, then press the dough circles into each pan. Chill in the freezer until ready to bake.
For the filling
- In a medium saucepan, toss all ingredients together in a bowl to coat the fruit. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is moistened and the strawberry and rhubarb start to soften.
- Divide filling between the 4 tart shells. Place on a sheet pan and bake at 400°F until filling is bubbling and dough is golden, 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely, then remove tarts from their tins.
Fpr the meringue
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy. Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites while continuing to mix. Beat to stiff peaks. Spread meringue onto the tops of each tart.
- Brown the meringue with a hand-held kitchen torch or under an oven broiler (watch it carefully). Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!