- Large steamer
- 8 oz Self raising flour
- 1 pn Salt
- 4 oz Vegetarian suet
- 6+ oz , Currants, Dried
- 3 oz Granulated sugar
- 1 ea Lemon zest
- 1 ea Orange zest
- 5 oz Whole milk
- Custard to serve
- In a large bowl combine the flour and salt. Add the suet, currants (or alternate dried fruit), sugar, lemon and orange zest.
- Pour in the milk and mix to a moist dough. If needed add another tablespoon or two of milk.
- With flour hands, shape into a log about 8 inches long. place the log on a large sheet of baking parchment. Wrap loosely and tie the ends, much like a Christmas cracker.
- With the water in the bottom of the steamer boiling, add the wrapped pudding in the steamer basket, cover and steam for 90 minutes.
- Check the water level in the steamer periodically and top up if needed.
- Remove from the steamer and allow to cool slightly. Slice and serve with custard. (See Notes).
Custard is traditional but another favorite is to spread with butter and sprinkle a little turbinado sugar.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!