We always have a huge crop of basil in the yard in mid summer and cannot use it fast enough. The answer, basil pesto for the freezer, enough to get us through all those long winter months and into spring of the following year. By freezing in 4 oz freezer tubs it can last up to 12 months which is absolutely perfect.
- 4 tbsp Garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups Basil leaves
- 1 cup Grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup Pine nuts
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper freshly ground
- 1 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Pulse the basil leaves and garlic in the food processor until finely chopped.
- Next, add the cheese, pine nuts, salt and pepper and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse paste
- With the food processor running, drizzle the olive oil through the feeder tube until fully incorporated.
- Fill the freezer storage tubs to within 1/2 inch of the top Pour a drizzle of olive oil over the pesto. This helps keep the pesto it's rich green color i in the freezer. Seal with lids and freeze for up to 12 months. For shorter term storage, up to 6 months, you can freeze the pesto in ice cube trays. When frozen, release from the trays ( a little hot water on the back) and place in freezer storage bags. When freezing in trays, drizzle a little olive oil on top of the pesto as keeping air out will help it keep its fresh green color.