This is a long time favorite for dinner on the day after we have made our seafood paella. We usually have left over mussels.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter unsalted
- 1 Onion - small and chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup Dry white wine
- 12 oz Marinara sauce
- 1 pn Red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 lb Live Mussels
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 bunch Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- In a large saute pan melt together the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion becomes transluscent. Add the red pepper flakes.
- Tip the mussels itnto a large bowl filled with cold water and sprinkle in the flour. Set to one side.
- Add the white wine to the pan with the onions and garlic. Cook until well reduced, about 4 minute.
- When the liquid in the pan has reduced down to about a tablespoon, stir in the marinara sauce along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Drain and rinse the mussels and tip them into the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the mussels have opened up. Discard any the have not opened.
- Serve directly from the pan or, if preferred in serving dishes together with the sauce. Garnish with the parsley.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!